In just three years, the share of U.S. adults who say they regularly get news from TikTok has more than quadrupled, from 3% in 2020 to 14% in 2023. This growth is particularly pronounced among young adults, with 32% of adults between 18 and 29 relying on TikTok for news.
Why is TikTok so popular as a news source?
There are several factors that are likely contributing to TikTok’s growing popularity as a news source:
- Engaging format: TikTok’s short-form videos are engaging and easy to consume.
- Algorithm: TikTok’s algorithm is effective at surfacing content that is relevant to users’ interests.
- Visual appeal: TikTok’s strong visual appeal makes it a particularly attractive platform for news consumption among younger adults.
How does TikTok’s growth compare to other social media platforms?
While TikTok is gaining ground as a news source, the percentage of U.S. adults who regularly get news from Facebook and X has declined. According to the Pew Research Center survey, the percentage of U.S. adults who regularly get news from Facebook fell from 54% in 2020 to 43% in 2023. Similarly, the percentage of U.S. adults who regularly get news from X declined from 59% to 53% over the same period.
What are some of the concerns about using TikTok as a news source?
One major concern about using TikTok as a news source is the potential for misinformation. TikTok has been criticized for the spread of misinformation on its platform. Additionally, TikTok’s ties to China have raised concerns about the platform’s data collection practices.
Overall, the growth of TikTok as a news source is a significant trend in the media landscape. It is important to be aware of the potential risks and benefits of using social media platforms as news sources.
- TikTok has faced scrutiny for the spread of misinformation and its ties to China.
- It is important to be aware of the potential for misinformation on TikTok and other social media platforms.
- TikTok users are less likely than users of X, formerly Twitter, to get news on the site.
I hope this is helpful!